Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Book Review: Abandon 2: Underworld by Meg Cabot

I recently read Abandon, and I knew I had to continue the series and read Abandon 2: Underworld. This book continues right where Abandon left off. At the end of Abandon, Pierce and John are in the Underworld together. A2:U starts off with Pierce waking up in John's arms. I really loved that that was how it started. I absolutely HATE when a sequel picks off months later with a billion things have happened in between.
Here is the overview I stole from Amazon

" Seventeen-year-old Pierce Oliviera isn't dead.

Not this time.

But she is being held against her will in the dim, twilit world between heaven and hell, where the spirits of the deceased wait before embarking upon their final journey.

Her captor, John Hayden, claims it's for her own safety. Because not all the departed are dear. Some are so unhappy with where they ended up after leaving the Underworld, they've come back as Furies, intent on vengeance . . . on the one who sent them there and on the one whom he loves.

But while Pierce might be safe from the Furies in the Underworld, far worse dangers could be lurking for her there . . . and they might have more to do with its ruler than with his enemies.

And unless Pierce is careful, this time there'll be no escape. "

 Again, this overview casts a very scary and negative light on the book. Its not scary. While Pierce is "held against her will" in the underworld with John, she doesn't seem to hate it that much. What I liked about this book is that all (well, most) of the unanswered questions in the first book are answered. Why does Alex hate the Rectors? Why did Uncle Chris really go to Jail? Who really was John before he became ruler of the underworld?

In the book, there was a "sex" scene. As a YA book, you don't usually see this. It's usually, they laid into bed and shut the doors, next chapter. Which is stupid. I'm sorry, but in our day in age, most girls know whats going on and have probably tried some form of sexual activity by age of 16. So its dumb to not write anything. But Meg did a great job writing the "sex" scene to be age appropriate. It was enough to let the reader know exactly what was going on but not overdone so you are like, am I reading 50 shades or am I reading this book? 

Unfortunately there was a part of the book that I didn't like. In the middle to end of the book, suddenly there was a crime theme added. And seriously, it seems rushed and thrown in. Like Meg was like oh, I have an idea! How can I add it into this already written book! But it didn't diminish the book that much.

Overall I give this book 4 Stars. I enjoyed reading it, and I can't wait for the next book in the series. It kept my attention, even at 2 in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment