Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Book Review: Alice in Deadland by Mainak Dhar

While I was sitting over my boyfriends, needing something to do, I pulled up my kindle app and searched through my books. Most the books I have on my app, I look at the title and think, huh that looks interesting and just download it without looking at what it is about. Which is pretty much what I did to pick out a new book to read the other day. And I chose good.

Alice in Deadland isn't really a Alice in Wonderland in a different setting. Which is what I was expecting.

Again, because I suck at writing descriptions without giving away all the good stuff, I copied the info from Amazon.

"Civilization as we know it ended more than fifteen years ago, leaving as it's legacy barren wastelands called the Deadland and a new terror for the humans who survived- hordes of undead Biters.

Fifteen year-old Alice has spent her entire life in the Deadland, her education consisting of how best to use guns and knives in the ongoing war for survival against the Biters. One day, Alice spots a Biter disappearing into a hole in the ground and follows it, in search of fabled underground Biter bases.

What Alice discovers there propels her into an action-packed adventure that changes her life and that of all humans in the Deadland forever. An adventure where she learns the terrible conspiracy behind the ruin of humanity, the truth behind the origin of the Biters, and the prophecy the mysterious Biter Queen believes Alice is destined to fulfill.

A prophecy based on the charred remains of the last book in the Deadland- a book called Alice in Wonderland."

Unlike some other book descriptions, this one hits it right on the head. I have never really enjoyed a zombie book before, but this book was a fabulous read. I was reading during commercials, before I went to bed, while I was supposed to be listening to my boyfriend.... LOL! I didn't want to put it down. I wanted to know what was going to happen to Alice and her band of fighters.

While I did love the book, there were parts that I was "quickly reading over." It was mostly in-depth descriptions about fighting or weapons. I don't really even watch fighting movies, so I didn't really care about what gun she was using or what tactical they were coming back with. But it didn't really take away from the book that much.

What did suck about the book was the dialog. It was very dry and expected. There didn't seem to be much imagination put into the dialog between the characters.

I do want to give a warning about the book. There is 2 scenes where Alice is almost raped. Its not too graphic, but, at least to me, any type of rape or sexual assault scene can be disturbing to read.

I think this book could be good for anyone 5th grade up to adult. If a younger person is reading it though, I would recommend talking to him or her about it, just so there isn't anything they are confused about.

Overall, I give this book 4 out of 5 stars! I can't say it was the best written book in the world - no where close honestly. But if you want a quick read that is something different, I would recommend this book. I can't wait to read the next one, but I'm too cheap to buy it. So I'll have to wait till goes free!

No comments:

Post a Comment