Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Student Organizations/Services Fair!

I was pretty excited to come to school today. I don't usually get to say that. Maybe if my classes ended at 4, but that obviously doesn't happen. Honestly, no one can be excited to go sit at school for almost 12 hours. If someone was, it was probably because they were made in a school lab experiment gone wrong.

Anyways, the Student Organizations/Services Fair. This is pretty much where every major, service, and club at WSU come together to give you free stuff to lure you to their table and talk to you about what they are. If you know me at all in real life, you know that I am the QUEEN of free stuff. I love getting free stuff more than the average person. Heck, I will go out of my way to get something for free (or super cheap.)

Considering this was my first fall semester at WSU, I didn't really know what to expect when it came to the size or amount of free stuff/information I would be receiving. I had been at the one at Central: it was Huge. If I remember correctly, there was four tents? Give or take one. But it was jammed packed full of people and information and food and free stuff. Comparing WSU to CMU, WSU sucks. Like horribly. But then you have to consider that WSU is smaller than CMU and most people don't stay on campus. If we were not a commuter school, I'm sure more people would start and join organizations. I would. I might actually. As long as meetings aren't always on any day other than Mondays or Wednsdays during my break.

I got some really great stuff considering how small it was. I got two cookies for free. They were super yummy. Plus they held me over till after my second class. Which considering that is usually when I start snacking, is awesome. I got a couple of water bottles, notepads, and a ton of little candy. I have a ton of information to read through. I might actually do that during my break, cause I know there is no way I will ever have the time to touch it once I go home.

If you are easily offended about the subject of race, quit reading now. I am going to go on a little rant. Please don't send me hate mail; this is my opinion and I am allowed to believe and express whatever I want. I am not trying to persuade anyone to believe what I say is right, you can think I'm a complete idiot for all I care.

There was one thing that bugged me about the SOSF. All the specific race tables. If you haven't read my bio, I am a middle class white girl. There was no table for me. There were about 10 tables for African American only organizations. About 5 for Arabic American only and a couple other randoms. How come there wasn't a White People are Awesome or White People Come Together club? Why is it racist if white people have a white only club but not if a African American or Arabic American have race only clubs? This bugs the SHIT out of me. We are in the 21st century. I understand that white people have been dicks to any other race throughout time. It is actually one of my favorite subjects to study (not because I support it, but because I get a weird enjoyment of being pissed off about inequality.) But come on. I just hate that people fought for equality for races and yet it is severely one sided. Sorry for not being black or arabic. Sorry I'm white so I can't have my own group join. UGH.
*Again, please don't send me hate mail for my views. These are just my opinions of my 19 year old self. Deal with it.

Anyways, overall I think the SOSF was a success. I got a bunch of stuff, some food, and possibly a new club to join. If your school offers a fair like this one, GO. Do not walk, but RUN to it. Because no college student should ever say no to free stuff. We are poor. We don't get to be prideful. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment